But today I am not going to speak about ARR or his music - this blog, almost 90% of the posts speak about that:-)
Today I am going to speak about Dev D and a certain composer called Amit Trivedi.
Dev D - has blown me away - and I admit if there was a Indian composer after ARR that I have come to appreciate this much - its the behind Dev D - a young 29 year old composer called Amit Trivedi. Mind you - he is just 2 albums old - and which brings me to Aamir - which was his previous album - an equally powerful and startling album that. This guy Amit is here to stay ( I just pray to the music gods - that he does - just pray that he doesn' get caught up in the routine world of usually crappy Bollywood music).
Coming back to this album now - this is not a album filled with soulful - heart-wrenching numbers. This is what I call an album where each and every track is fun - full of fun akin probably to the move theme. I doubt if these songs will even figure as full numbers in the movie - I think they will be destined to play in the background.
Will write a quick 1-line review of each track
It goes without saying on each of these that lyrics are absolutely offbeat, might appear zany ..but hear them closely and u will understand the genious behind it.
1. Emosanal Atyachar (Brass Band version) - Whacky, fun ... sounds like a north indian marriage band
2. Emosanal Atyachar (Rock version) - Rock-styled version of the previous albeit shorter, zanny and equally fun
3. Aankh Micholi - Electronic, fast paced, fun.
4. Dev Chanda - Theme music 1 - ..heavy bass to open with ...pa pa ra ra ...ooooo ...wonderful flute to end with
5. Dev Chanda - Theme music 2 - .. softer ..and wonderful whistles with wonderul streaks of violin in the background ..wonderful
6. Dhol Yaara Dol - I dont know how to review this one. Hear it ..its wonderful..the arrangements, shilpa rao's vocals
7. Dil Main Jaagi - Pure Blues ...and Jazz - simply amazing .....
8. Duniya - Yeh Duniya badi gol hain ....aur yeh gaana bada mast hain. The song of the moment for me. Amazing arrangement. Blew my mind away
9. Ek Hulchul Si - Wonderful Guitaring, percussion ....and cool vocals ....
10. Hiknaal - Oh ..we were missing a Punjabi number. Here comes one interlaced with some rocking guitaring ...absolutely great
11. Mahi Mennu - Another Punju number - but unclassifiable as a typical Punju number though. Classy yet again especially the beginning
12. Mahin Mennu Sad - alternate sad version
13. Nayan Tarse - Holy Cows ....from the start to end, this number takes you in a journey ...vocals ...music, the trumpet ....the vocals top everything else
14. Paayalia - Carnatic strumming at the beginning which turns into a weirdly wonderful number with some good vocals
15. Pardesi - This has to be one of the best ones in this album - absolutely ravishing tune, arrangement and great lyrics
16. Ranjhana - A sad situational number I presume with stunning vocals and a soothing pace and feel.
17. Saali Kushi - Jazzy number ....by a sad drunk lover I presume.
18. Yahi Meri Zindagi - I can't review this one. This one is sheer artistry ..the music, the rhythm, the arrangements and ofcourse the singing aspect
This is one hell of a Celebration ...this album ..a Celebration of music that I have been missing from any composer except ARR. This album makes me want to believe that there is hope for Indian composers. It doesn't start and end with ARR - this guy Amit Trivedi is a complete musician .whether its the music, the rhythm, his own singing or the voices he has used.
I pray that this guy doesn't get lost in the crowd - lost in the dirty world of mundane Indian film music.
Here's to Dev D (I also recommend his previous work Aamir - that is another gem of an album which unfortunately I missed last year only to discover it now through Dev D)
Take my word for it ...hear these 2 albums ....Dev D and Aamir